Monday, November 18, 2013

All you need to know about Dry Shampoo...

All about dry shampoos. Best & worst brands and tips on how to use it! makingup-your-mind.blogspot.com

I have never been one of those girls who could get away with second or third-day hair. Not without looking like a homeless person anyway. My hair can be very temperamental. It gets super greasy overnight, no matter what, even if I wash it right before bed. I can't let it air dry, because it gets greasy. I can't brush it too often, because, you guessed it, it gets greasy. Its not that I have particularly oily hair, it is just very fine and straight and, like I said, temperamental. 

I know my hair well, what it does and doesn't respond to, so I always assumed dry shampoo would never work for me.. and for a while, I thought I was right in my assumption. I tried brand after brand, and it always made my hair look even worse by leaving a weird, oddly enough, oily film on my hair, or it just weighed my hair down. The result was always a gross, oily, messy pony tail that made me look like I just crawled out of bed. Like everything else, your hair is different than mine, and you may have a different experience with products than I did. But I'll list the dry shampoos I've tried from worst to best, so you can have an idea of what to try, and see what works for you. 

Horrible: Tresemee Fresh Start Dry Shampoo - This was the worst of the worst, and after reading some other reviews on the same product, I think that's the general consensus. This one, more than any other, left my hair looking greasier than before. It sort of just matted my hair down with a weird film.

Bad: Garnier Fructis Volume Extend - I bought this one after hearing Tracy & Stephanie at eleventhgorgeous on Youtube rave about it. Unfortunately, I had a different experience with it. Apparently its not just a dry shampoo but a "instant bodifier", which I would agree with. It did add a little bit of lift to my roots, but not for long, and it definitely didn't absorb any excess oil. 

Okay: Dove Invigorating Refresh+Care Dry Shampoo - This one wasn't horrible, because I loved the smell. Aside from absorbing oils, dry shampoos should smell good to cover that dirty hair smell, and if I could use this solely for the smell, I would. (Hair perfume, maybe?) Unfortunately, it didn't do the first part of its job, so it wasn't a keeper for me. 

Better: "Not Your Mother's" Brand Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo - After trying this one, I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It really did do something. I was actually able to go out in public without washing my hair, and it felt so freeing! It definitely absorbed the oils in my hair, and although the smell wasn't that great, it did its main job; however, it didn't last too long. If you use this one, it would probably be best to keep a bottle with you to touch up and refresh later on. 

Best: Batiste Dry Shampoo - This. is. my. favorite. It does the job, has tons of variety and different smells, adds extra volume and lift, and isn't terribly expensive. Be sure to read my in-depth review on Batiste Dry Shampoo, all about it, and why I love it! 

How to Use Dry Shampoo

It may seem self-explanatory, but I'm willing to bet more than half of you are doing it wrong.. because I was too! I would just spray it on my roots, and brush it through with either a brush, comb, or my fingers, just like all the bottles said. But then I found an amazing infographic on Pinterest all about the correct way to use dry shampoo. The secret is to let it set. Spray it on, and wait. It needs a few minutes to do its job, which means it has to stay on your hair a bit to absorb the oil. Duh! Right? Why didn't I think of that?! I like to apply it by lifting it up at the crown, and all over, and spraying directly onto the root. Then I leave it. I'll use that time to apply the last bit of my makeup, lay out my clothes for the day, or make some coffee. Wait about 7-10 minutes and let it suck it all up. Then I just use my fingers to rub it all in, kind of like I'm scrubbing my hair as if I was washing it. You'd be amazed at just how clean and "normal" your hair looks. It looks just like newly washed/dried hair! For the first time, I can use dry shampoo, and join the rest of the public without looking like a hobo :) Try it! I bet you'll be as shocked as I was!

So did you learn anything? Have you used these dry shampoos as well? What sort of results did you have? Don't forget to check out my Batiste Dry Shampoo full review

0 comments:

Post a Comment