Monday, November 11, 2013

Best of: Plum Lip Stains


I've been shockingly brave when it comes to lip color this year. I'm usually a big chicken and the only lipstick I've worn was nude.. and even that was a big step for me. I've just always been a lip balm kind of girl. But I'm trying to step outside of my conservative box this year and do what I want. Drugstore Princess posted once that its not about which color looks good with your skin tone, eyes, etc., its that you wear it with confidence and don't worry about what others think, and I'm totally embracing that this fall and winter. Sooo.. I've been trying one of this fall's best trends: deep plum lips. 

Because I'm a lipstick newbie, I decided to try stains first. It keeps me from having to reapply constantly, and I can eat and drink without being cautious. I've been trying different brands and products and I think I've narrowed it down to my 3 favorite stains, in 3 different finishes (but similar colors!)


Recently I've been wearing the 3 products above. Although they look like very different colors on the tube, they're surprisingly all very similar on my lips. I'd call them all a deep plum. I want to apologize ahead of time for the very bad photography... I suck. I can admit it. I especially haven't mastered the lip selfie with the camera yet, so these had to be taken on my phone. 

1. The Gloss
-L'Oreal Color Caresse Wet Shine Stain in Berry Persistant, ~$10
"Wet shine" really is the best description for this stain. I was really skeptical on whether this was a true stain or not because it seems just like you're applying a really pigmented lip gloss. It even comes with a doe-foot applicator like a lipgloss.  but it definitely is a stain. Wear it for a little while and try to remove it, you'll be a believer! The trick to this shine stain is to let it set for a few minutes. When I first swatched I touched it to see if it would transfer onto my clothes. It was a bit tacky and did transfer onto my finger so I waited about 10 more minutes, and once it dried it didn't transfer at all, yet still looked shiny! 

2. The Semi-Gloss
-Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Crush, ~$9
This is the perfect stain for the "in-betweener". It was my first and it has the best of both worlds. It definitely has a bit of gloss to it without being obvious. Its a balm stain, so its hydrating. It smells and feels minty which I love and its applied like a giant crayon. I think this is the most wearable out of the 3 and very comfortable on the lips. My only complaint is that when it does fade (hours later) the color is more of a hot pink, which isn't very flattering with my skin tone. But I just reapply and its fine. Its easily reapplied and doesn't feel cakey, just like you're wearing a minty chapstick! 

3. The Matte
-L'Oreal Colour Riche Le Matte Lipstick in Matte-r of Fact, ~$8
This line doesn't actually claim to be a stain, but try it and you'll call it that too. Its very long-lasting and doesn't fade at all, which was unexpected for such a matte color. This one applies like a crayon as well but the point is much smaller than the Kissable Balm Stain. At first I didn't think I'd like the small point, but it actually makes for more precision when applying such a deep-pigmented lipstick. These are pretty hard to find, I don't even think Ulta sells them! And I'm almost positive the matte lipstick, along with its glossy "le lacquer" partner, are limited edition, so pick them up while you can! I found mine at Rite Aid. 

Trust me when I say, you need all 3. Don't pick and choose. They are all wonderful for different reasons. Although the colors are almost identical on my lips, the gloss, semi-gloss, and matte stains all make for different looks. The lasting power is almost identical for all 3 products. I wouldn't have even featured them as favorites if they didn't live up to their "stain" name. They last hours, and are easily reapplied. So will you be picking them up? Which colors will you wearing this fall? Comment below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment