Tuesday, June 10, 2014

all about hair!

so recently I asked on my instagram (@makupyourmind) for you guys to pick whether I posted about my favorite makeup brushes, or my favorite hair products... and hair won! so I made a little compilation of my current favorite hair products. granted, I try new things often and fall in and out of love with products often. so these are my current faves that I've been loving lately. 

I also wanted to note that I know my hair well. its tempermental and I know what works and what doesn't. and I'm sure people with different hair types have their own favorites that work for their hair. 
my hair is stick straight, flat, has not even the slightest bit of natural curl or wave, very fine, and has a tendency to get greasy by the end of the day. 
so keep all of that in mind, because if you have thick, curly hair, my faves may not work for you! okay here we go :)

1. Herbal Essences Naked Dry Shampoo: if you don't have a dry shampoo in your life.. you're really missing out. this is one of two dry shampoos in this list, because I use them so often. this is actually a new favorite that I picked up on impulse, and was pleasantly surprised. I've been using the same dry shampoo for a while now (see #4) and haven't found anything else that works as well, but this one is definitely equal. I was kind of shocked because its definitely more wet than anything else I've tried. when I first sprayed it in my hair I said "oh crap" because I just knew I'd ruined my hair for the day.. but it dried quickly and gave my roots a MAJOR boost, and surprisingly absorbed all the oil. If you're looking for a good dry shampoo that you can find at your local Walmart, Target, drugstore, etc, GET THIS ONE!

2. L'Oreal Boost It High Lift Creation Spray: I like this product because it actually has multiple uses. I like the term "creation spray" because it really does let you create different looks or effects depending on how you use it. more than anything it gives nice lift and boost at the roots. I like to tease a little and, lifting the hair up, spray directly at the root. its not quite a hairspray, so it doesn't make it crunch or give extreme hold, but its just enough to make your hair look naturally voluminous, not helmet hair. the second way to use it, and my favorite, is as a texturizing spray. as silly as it sounds, my hair is a little too perfect. its just shiny and stick straight, so when I use my wand (see #6) to create messy, bed head-ish, beach waves, I tend to look a little more like Shirley Temple than a Victoria's Secret model. but when I spray this spray all over the waves and run my fingers through it, it gives it just enough of a messy texture, and I LOVE the look. my only complaint would be the smell. it has a very strong smell.. enough that I like to step out of the bathroom when I use it, or else it sort of fills up your lugs. but if you can get past that, its a great product. 

3. Not Your Mothers Beach Babe Texturizing Cream: this sort of goes hand in hand with what I was saying about the L'Oreal spray. I like it because it sort of 'roughs' my hair up a bit and makes my beachy waves look more texturized and messy. you only need a tiny bit to work through the hair when its damp before drying. it doesn't make a huge difference, but its great for messy, summer, bed-head hair. it also smells like coconut so just another reason to love it!

4. Batiste Dry Shampoo: I wont elaborate on this too much because I did a full review here and another post on how to apply dry shampoo here (scroll to the bottom for that part). But really all you need to know about this product is that I LOVE IT and have loved it for months. It is a powder spray that absorbs oils really well and gives your roots a boost. The smells are hit or miss, you have to try different ones to find out which you like.

5. Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: I don't want to say MUCH because I plan on doing a full review on this product very soon.. But I will say that it is my all-time favorite beauty product I have found lately (and that includes makeup, skincare, hair, etc) and it has changed my hair. This masque is amaaaazing and I can't wait to review it for you.

6. Hot Tools 1-1/4" Tapered Curling Wand: I thought I'd include a couple 'tools' in my list as well since I use them almost every day too. I ordered this on Amazon, but its also available at Ulta, and many other stores as well. I usually stick to cheap flat irons, curling irons, etc but I decided to buy Hot Tools for my wand, because this thin, stick straight hair needs lots of help. I love this wand because its easy to use. I wrap medium size pieces of hair around the wand (holding it upside down) away from my face all over, use the texturizing spray above, run my fingers through the waves, and voila! I have the perfect, effortless, beach waves.

7. John Frieda JF1 Full Volume Hair Dryer: ya know.. I never put much thought into blow dryers. to be honest, I used to just buy whichever one was cutest at WalMart. But my pink one stopped working and I had an Amazon gift card so I decided to buy this one because it said 'full volume' and well, why not? And I love it! In fact, my mom and sister used mine and they both bought one for themselves. I mainly love how much power it has and dries my hair quickly. It may seem weird, but I use the diffuser (yes, for my straight, fine hair) because it seems to be less direct heat on my hair, and makes it look and feel so healthy and lightweight. If you need a new blow dryer, try this one! 

I wanna hear about the hair products you can't live without.. comment below!

1 comments:

  1. The Batiste and Macadamia Deep Repair are definitely 2 of my favorite products too!

    ReplyDelete