Friday, January 10, 2014

Inner Beauty


I wanted to take a moment to talk about inner beauty. This blog focuses on things like finding the foundation that will make your skin look flawless, the mascara that makes your lashes longer, the perfect eye shadow to make your eyes pop.. and that's fun. Being into our looks and wanting to look better is part of being a girl. But I want you to know that I know that isn't all that matters. And I want you to know that too. 

What if no one could see your long lashes, rosy cheeks, and perfect skin. What if all they knew of you was what kind of person you were.. What kind of impression would you make? My parents always raised me to be kind to others and I always have been. I smile at people as I walk by, I'm never rude to waiters or cashiers, and I always try to be polite. But I could do more than that.

Have you ever met someone in passing, at a restaurant or store, or at a get-together, who made a lasting impression on you? Someone who went out of their way to be kind, had such a lovely personality, or someone who was so warm and open that it made you want to get to know them? You can be that person too. It doesn't take too much effort to hold the door for someone, or to be kind to a waitress at a restaurant. 

Or you could even take it one step further. What kind of impression would you make on someone if they couldn't see you at all? I would want them to "see" me as someone who went out of their way to be kind, someone who made them laugh, or someone who was what God wanted me to be, who exemplified the fruits of the spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23) Regardless of what you believe, we could all try a little more to be loving, kind, patient, gentle, and have self control, right? 

So my challenge is this: Go out of your way to be kind. Make it a challenge to do one random kind act a day. Pay for the person behind you in line, compliment a stranger, give a little extra for a tip. It doesn't matter if you never see the person again you may have made an impression on them that lasts forever.. and they may just pay it forward. You can even ask them to pay it forward. I can almost guarantee it'll make you feel good all while making the other person smile. So try it. Lets try to focus a little more on inner beauty this coming year. Embrace your flaws and try to emphasize the person you can be on the inside... and don't worry, its okay to do it with extra long eye lashes and a nude lip ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment