Monday, February 17, 2014

Birchbox vs Ipsy: February 2014

I feel like this review is almost pointless since everyone else got their boxes forever ago and already posted pictures everywhere.. I'm sure you've already seen a million Birchboxes or Ipsy Bags on Instagram already, but now you get to see mine as well. I was a bit frustrated because my Ipsy took forever this month. I already had my Birchbox before my Ipsy even shipped! My first instinct, just seeing the couple good things in my Birchbox, was that BB won this month. But then I got my Ipsy.. so here's the comparison!

(ignore that blurry picture.. it looked clear on my camera for some reason) 

Birchbox
1. Smashbox Full Exposure Palette Sample, full size $49
This was a neat idea, especially if you're interested in buying the palette. I thought about swatching the shades for you, but honestly, there's just a really thin layer of shadow so by swatching them I'd use it all and not be able to use it on my eyes. There are some really pretty colors, and its neat that I can see them in powder form and not just in a picture online. 

2. Agave Healing Oil Treatment, full size $24-$40
I wasn't sure until reading the card, but this is actually for your hair. Unfortunately there isn't really enough in the sample for me to use it on my hair. I could possibly try it on just my ends, but even that is doubtful. 

3. OPI Sheer Tint Top Coat, full size $9
I was actually really excited about this.. mainly because it was so adorably small! But also because I love OPI polishes, and I'll definitely get use out of this. I love samples like this.. they're in a bottle that I'll use and get more than one use out of it, plus its cute!

4. Refresh Cleanser, full size $30
Like I say in all my other Birchbox/Ipsy comparisons or reviews.. I'm not really into skin care, because I don't like trying new things for fear that my face will react badly to it. This is a really decent size sample though, which was exciting. I'll probably pass this on to someone else who wants to use it, because its definitely a nice sample. 

5. Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara, full size $19.50
This was my favorite thing in the whole box. I LOVE samples like this, and I really think Birchbox should do it more often. I liked this mascara, it has a pretty basic brush and basic formula, but it made my eye lashes look long and pretty and that's all that matters! 

Overall thoughts: I really liked this box and to be honest, the OPI polish and mascara made the whole box for me, I would've been satisfied with just those 2 things. I've talked to a lot of people who were really disappointed with their box this month, though. I don't think many people got the mascara, which like I said, was the best part. I'd rate this box a 6/10


Ipsy
1. Eyetini Codial Cream Shadow, full size $18 (?)
I'm not sure how I feel about this concept. Its like a liquid/cream shadow, that is sort of in a lip gloss tube. I swatched it on my hand (see swatches below) and its a great color and very pigmented, but I rubbed it after about 20-30 seconds and it smeared, which means that it needs a long time to dry, which isn't always practical. So I'm not sure how I'd use it but I really do love the color and would love to try it. My other complaint is that there is nothing on the tube at all except for a small sticker on the bottom that said something about eye shadow.. Its a bit misleading since it seems like a lip product. 

2. Zoya Nail Polish in Odette, full size $9
I was really excited about this because I dont own any Zoya polishes, although I've heard so many great things about them. This is a full size polish which is great. The color is really pretty, and thankfully like nothing I have (because lets be honest, I DON'T need any new nail polish!). This was my favorite item in the bag. 

3. Pacifica Hawaiian Ruby Guava Body Butter, full size $15
At first I didn't love the smell, especially not in the bottle, but once I put it on my hands and wore it for a little while it started to grow on me. Its a fruity, tropical smell, but has a little something different that I can't put my finger on. Either way its very moisturizing and smells great. I'm not going to bother applying it to my whole body (even though its a body butter) because its not a very big bottle and wouldn't last long. I've been carrying it around in my purse and using it as hand lotion. I learned on their website that the line is strictly vegan, so that's good to know. 

4. J.Cat Beauty Eyelashes + Glue, full size $3.99
At first I was really excited about these because I never buy false lashes, but always like playing around with them.. but they're a bit too dramatic and thick for me, so I don't think I'd ever wear them. Maybe for something costumey, so I'll save them! 

5. POP Beauty Plump Pout Mini in Fuchsia Freesia , full size $16
I thought the color was really cute (swatch below) and it was a brand I've actually heard of. I'm not a fan of the smell, but the packaging is adorable, and seems like a great lip gloss. Not sure it did much plumping (like it claims to do) but its very pigmented and bright, and I like that. 

Swatches: lip gloss on left, cream shadow on the right.

Overall thoughts: My major complaint was that it took so long to get this bag in. Their whole 'thing' this month was for Valentines Day, and things you could wear on your date night out; however, I got it the day after Valentines Day so that didn't exactly work out. I really like the bag, it isn't in-your-face Cupid, just pink with a cute pink leopard lining. I really liked all the products, and the only thing I don't see myself using is the lashes.. other than that, all the products were pretty much great! I'd rate this box an 8/10.

Winner: Ipsy

When I first got my Birchbox I thought it was going to be a winner, mainly because it came with a decent-sized mascara! But Ipsy definitely won. I will use all of the products included (besides the lashes) and not just because I have them, but because they're products I'd buy for myself.. especially the polish.

 I said this last time, and I stick to it, I hate that Ipsy doesn't include a card with product info. In my mind, Birchbox wins in that alone. When reviewing and sharing info with you guys about my Ipsy, I have to login and view my bag, click on each item, and follow the link to the website where it is sold, and then FIND it on the site to find the full price, which color I have, etc. Birchbox includes a card with all the info I need- which color/brand/style etc came in my box, the full price, and a brief description of the item. Ipsy really needs to follow their lead!! 

What was your favorite? Did my Ipsy win, or would you prefer the Birchbox?
Which of YOUR boxes won this month? What kinds of things did you get?? Tell me!! I want your opinions!


0 comments:

Post a Comment